Friday, January 13, 2012

My Happy Story

So i promised a happy story. no time like Friday the 13th to write a happy story right?! 
so how me and my amazing husband of 7 little months came to be...
I moved to Gulf Shores, AL in 2007 to start over. I had just gotten out of a horrible, abusive relationship and life was bleak. Packed the UHaul..loaded my Dixie dog in the car, off we went. I found an apartment called SweetWater (beautiful place) and proceeded to job hunt. Hospital said it would be up to 3 months before my position in their lab would be opened sooooooooo what do you do? Go back to what you know. I started working as a waitress & bartender at the Giggling Grouper in Foley. Life carried on. One day (in March of 2008) while i was working, sitting in one of my bistro chairs near the bar was (and NO i am not exaggerating, you may ask anyone there that day..lol) the most amazingly hot man ive ever seen. Brown curls..beard..blue bandanna around his head..*whoa* I kid you not, the earth stopped for a tiny second. (note:this had NEVER happened before. EVER) I rannnnnnnnn into the kitchen, got my manager Chris, and said whoooooo is that?!? he said it was his boy Jim just moved back from Birmingham and needed a job. Um yea. HIRE HIM. Duh. So he was hired as the AM Prep Chef. I come in that weekend and he is elbow deep in a massive bowl of crab cakes (eww) I walked right up to him and said oh thank GOD we finally have a hot guy in the kitchen, Im Dana. :) *yes yes brave me!* we bumped elbows and i carried on. Hed come to the bar for a margarita when he got off sometimes. I talked to him all the time. Trying to get the nerve up to just ask the guy out. I thought he was out of my league though. I was a curvy southern girl who doesnt drink or smoke. He was a super hot singer/guitarist in a band, surfer, etc who by society standards shouldnt give me the time of day. And i told him that. Man was he mad..hahah he didnt talk to me for a week! eep.
any way..moving along..a couple months later, i finally asked him if hed like to have a drink sometime......
He said no. Yea i was crushed! So yea..sad  me. After talking about it with our manager and his friend Chris, i was informed it was because we worked together....damn. So i did what any girl who truly felt shed met 'the one' would do....I Quit. Right then. That day. You hear people say they meet 'the one' all the time. I hated those people. Now i believed it. I honestly just KNEW when i met him. However opposed he was to commitment at the time, i just knew he was it. 
So i quit. and waited. and prayed hed actually call. 2 weeks later......He Did. 
He wanted to know if i wanted to hang out? Go swimming? (my apt complex has a bomb pool!) so of course i said YES..again, DUH. He came over, we swam, we laughed, i flirted my hiney off...but i had to be at work at the hospital at 11pm (eww night shift) 
He did kiss me that night. Night.Made. :) I was like a giggly school girl. I couldnt believe Jim.Graves. was in my house! On my couch! Playing with my dog! and kissed ME! whoooooooooa!
we fell into a routine. with no clear title. he was there once every couple weeks. then once a week. then an entire weekend...i was so very happy. i fell hard and fast for him. We went to the beach...dinner..movies..friends...
In August of 2008 he helped me move to a house in Foley. Told me he was starting to fall for me. He started acting weird. Pulling away. Then....he broke up with me the end of September. I cried for days..really. Thank heaven for my girlfriends brandy Tuggle and Tiffany Holcombe. They rescued me.  
fast forward...3 or so weeks later...i ran into him again. he asked me to have a drink with him. I said yes. We had a drink...then a walk on the beach...and he kissed me again. Apparently falling in love with me had freaked him out and he ran...ran..ran..but he was going to try again. So together we were again..this time with titles. I had a boyfriend. He met my parents. I met his. In February of 2009 we went to a Trivium and Coheed and cambria concert and during a very loud and heavy drum hard rock concert he said 'hey i think i love you...i know i do...its just easier to say i think..' hahah happiness..
so again, fast forward..through beach trips, family dinners, movies, concerts, trips to Birmingham to meet his old friends..on August 25, 2010, he got his guitar out, sang me a song then dropped to one knee and asked me...ME...to marry him. The easiest yes ive ever said...
We were married at 6pm on June 18, 2011 in Orange Beach at the orange beach activity center. it was beautiful. It was perfect. And i, miss pessimist, became the happiest woman in the world. Life began again as Mrs James Edward Graves III....and i couldnt be happier. So thats that. All the crap i went through before him? totally worth it to get to him...

No comments:

Post a Comment